Erin from Seven Little Australians and Counting has kindly given me a Versatile Blogger Award. Thanks so much Erin! “Versatile” is such a nice term, too, especially compared to descriptions one might use like “unable to focus” or “writing when I ought to be caulking crown molding.” The award rules are:
- Thank the person who gave you the award and link back to them.
- Tell your readers 7 things about yourself.
- Give this award to 15 recently discovered bloggers.
- Contact those bloggers and let them in on the news.
7 Things You Might Not Know
1. I was homeschooled all the way through. No, I did not get to do school in my pajamas. Yes, I can communicate with other people. No, my parents did not keep me home just to do chores while ignoring academics; I had to slave away at chores and academics. Yes, I did once own an ankle-length denim jumper, but all evidence has been eliminated. No, I cannot reliably identify any popular music or movies after 1950. Yes, you may feel free to blame all my spelling, grammar, and logic errors on my parent-teachers.
2. I love baking and desserts, but dislike even a smidge of sweetener in non-dessert foods. No sweet spaghetti sauce, sweet salad dressing, sweet pancake batter, sugary cereal, pop, American-style potato salad, coleslaw, or sweet deviled eggs for me unless politeness demands it. Breakfast toppings like honey, jam, and syrup are delicious in the right amounts though.
3. A perfect day would be one spent hiking in the woods, stopping to swim in a lake, then reading or playing games by a campfire.
4. I love playing sports. As kids we competed on a swim team. As teens, we constantly played ultimate frisbee, soccer, hockey, broomball and the like. I also shot four-position rifle with a Junior Marksmanship club for four years. In college I played on the Intramural football, soccer, softball, and broomball teams. I also took JuJitsu and loved it – finally a defense against arm-twisting older siblings.
5. I’ve had some form of business or job every year since age 9: Lawn-care service with my brothers taking care of 5 – 7 lawns a week, regular babysitting gigs, providing childcare for Bible Studies, etc. My parents would occasionally surprise us with a wage for helping on major home-repair projects as well.. My least favorite task ever was a summer week spent sanding the downstairs baseboards. Therein began a life-long hatred of sanding.
6. As a kid I collected sugar packets – the specially printed ones for individual restaurants or hotels. The prize of my collection was a pyramid-shaped one from Japan. Jealous, aren’t you? The evidence for this bizarre hobby has thankfully been destroyed.
7. Bluegrass is perfect for roadtrips. I enjoy early rock like Johnny Cash, The Beatles, Credence Clearwater Revival and the like. I love Baroque music, closely followed by the Classical period.
The “give this award to 15 new-to-you bloggers” point will need to be worked through bit by bit when running across good new blogs. I’m interpreting “new” as “within a twelve-month period.” Expect more updates here:
1. It seemed only right to begin by sending this back to the continent from whence it came. The first site is: http://provincialhomemaker.blogspot.com/
Please do check back in on Erin’s site as well for fun writing about books, her crew of kids, their family’s home addition project, and their travels around Australia.