Continuing on with the deployment project:
Project 4 – The Master Bathroom
How many colors of paint must you slap onto your wall to find the right one? Well, I don’t know about you but for us it took 19 tries. Sage green, it turns out, is an elusive shade. Paint swatches lie, lighting changes, and grey hairs ensue.
The previous owners of our home couldn’t have been kinder or more accommodating sellers. They loved their home, and treated it well. However, their style differed from my simpler traditional preferences.When we moved in, the master bathroom was partially painted a deep red, and partially wallpapered. With this wallpaper. It’s just a little too Holiday Inn for me (plus am I the only one who sees a snail perched in the lower left corner?):
Back in August when I had time off and Carl was working I filled my bucket with hot water and wallpaper remover, and climbed the ladder with a scraper:
For three days I pried off rotting baseboards, pulled down old wallpaper, scraped walls, spackled, sanded, cut away old caulk and scrubbed.
Finally, the walls were prepped and primed and we picked out a nice sage green sample paint chip. It seemed a little bright as I started to paint the walls, but that would dry to the shade on the swatch, right? Wrong. It dried to the shade in a Key West beach house. It’s the background color on the below photo, and trust me, the image does no justice to the blinding walls that screamed “Margarita Time!” Carl came home from work, blinked at the wall, and blanched. Not what either of us had envisioned. Now alert to the vagaries of paint swatches, we picked a dozen potential candidates, ordered $2 sample cans, and daubed a square of each on the wall. I don’t remember which won – second from the bottom on the left, perhaps? It looked perfect…on that scale.
Guess what? It wasn’t. It was terrible. See the color through the door, below?Apparently it’s hard to escape the Keys’ tropical influence. We’d gone from Keys beach house to key lime. However, I was starting up work, and out of time. There was nothing to do except clench my teeth whenever the walls loomed into sight. Multiple times a day. For the next two months.
This week I finally had time to go back to the paint counter for another try. I chose six more paint swatches and brought home sample cans. I painted one row in the formerly-wallpapered-now-a-glaring-green shower and toilet room, and one in the main red-painted part of the room with the sinks and tub. Then stared at them with the lights on. With the lights off. In natural light. In shaddow. Up close. Far away. At night. In the morning. At noon.
I picked one, and put up the first coat last night. It looks good, exactly the traditional crisp colonial look we wanted. Finally. Pictures to come when the painting’s complete. For now I’ll leave you with the retina-burning old look.
Project 5 – Elimination
We’d already dumped or donated a lot of things before we moved, but it was time for another trip through the house hunting unused items for sale, disposal, and donation. Now to get the items out the door to the Salvation Army and the Army Surplus buyer.